The Importance of Purity in DMSO

When it comes to dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), a potent solvent widely employed in scientific research and recognized for its unique health benefits, purity isn't just important—it's paramount.


DMSO is a by-product of the wood industry, remarkable for its ability to penetrate skin and biological membranes, carrying other substances along with it. This makes it a subject of intrigue across various research domains.


The purity of DMSO is a key determinant of its safety and efficacy. At 99.9% purity, the remaining 0.1% or less should only consist of harmless substances, such as water. Impurities in DMSO can disrupt scientific experiments and pose potential risks. Thus, choosing a high-purity DMSO is essential.


Less pure DMSO may contain contaminants—by-products of manufacturing or substances from storage and transportation. Such impurities can react with DMSO's chemical structure, potentially modifying its properties, diminishing its effectiveness, or even making it hazardous.


Trustworthy DMSO suppliers provide a Certificate of Analysis (CoA) with their product. This document attests to the DMSO's purity and affirms the absence of specific contaminants. Never hesitate to ask for this certificate when purchasing DMSO—it's your guarantee of quality and safety.


DMSO's potential benefits hinge on its purity. Used topically, DMSO may alleviate pain and reduce inflammation particularly in horses. However, impure DMSO may transport harmful substances through the skin, causing unwanted side effects.


In scientific laboratories, DMSO is frequently used as a solvent for biological experiments and a cryopreservative for cells. The importance of purity here cannot be overstated. Impure DMSO can skew results or damage the cells it's intended to preserve.


To recap, the golden rule when considering DMSO is to prioritize purity. Always opt for high-purity, pharmaceutical-grade DMSO, and ensure you receive a Certificate of Analysis. This guarantees a product that's not only safe and effective, but suitable for your intended use.


While DMSO has demonstrated potential in a variety of applications, it's critical to consult with a healthcare provider before utilizing it for health and wellness purposes. Its powerful solvent properties and its ability to transport substances (including potential contaminants) across biological membranes necessitate this precaution.


Stay informed, choose responsibly, and unlock the potential of DMSO safely and efficiently. After all, knowledge is the first step to prudent use. And with DMSO, purity isn't just a characteristic—it's a necessity.


FDA Disclaimer: The statements made in this blog post have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. DMSO is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. 

Have questions?

Our highest priority is our customers. We're here to help and look forward to hearing from you!